Last week many of you looked at NumberTalks and we went into a couple of classrooms to try it out. There was lots of great thinking going on and so many creative ideas. We all hope to continue building on that. Please try and do 3 of these a week in your class so we can get some really good evidence for our PD Day in November. Everyone is very interested to see where this math thinking is going to take up.
In the principal;s Update I received on Friday there were many learning opportunities for staff. Please take a look below and see if there is anything that you are interested in.
Items of Interest:
- GAFE Conference: Once again Ottawa will be hosting a Google Apps For Education (GAFE) based education conference. It will again take place at La Cite on Oct 22-23. There are a limited number of tickets available to our school board. Each ticket costs $200 at a bulk rate. Schools are being asked to pay $100 for each ticket. There is a great lineup of speakers and sessions. Take a look at the site. If you are interested let me know by lunch on Monday.
- Deep Learning: Introduction to Deep Learning (open to all K-12 Educators/System Consultants/Learning Partners) has just been added today to the Learning Pathway in our Leading & Learning Journey offerings. If you are interested in this it is a great opportunity. Isabelle and Leanne were involved in this last year. Touch base with them if you are interested and want to know a little more about what it is all about. There is only space for 25 so you have to move fast.
- Opportunity: Grades 4-6 Math Educators: Student Success is looking for Grade 4-6 school teams to pilot a few tasks (in October) and do a very short review for an EQAO support resource created for EOCCC. Let me know if you are interested and I will facilitate this.
- The Leading & Learning Journey is OPEN for Registration: This session directly supports educators in learning, teaching and leading mathematics. Making Space for Students to Think Mathematically (K-6) (4 Sessions)
- Le Français à coeur 2016-2017 Responsive Teaching of Reading in an FSL ClassroomThe Eastern Ontario Staff Development Network of Eastern Ontario (EOSDN) is pleased to host “Le français à coeur” conference to be held on Thursday, October 27, 2016 in Kingston. There is a follow-up session scheduled for Tuesday, April 4, 2017 in Kingston as well. The first 10 schools to register will secure their participation at the conference.The Elementary Student Success department would like to extend an Invitation to three FSL teachers (Gr. 1-6) at your school. The Department will cover the cost of registration and provide:
- supply coverage for both teachers
- transportation (Ottawa to Kingston, return)
- Please review the Conference Program
- The Entrepreneurial Adventure (EA), is in the process of accepting registrations. In the program, students are engaged in a social and ethical entrepreneurial environment; students identify a cause or charity that interests them, create a company that produces a product or service, market that product or service, and finally donate all proceeds to the identified charity.more information please consult the Website and/or Contact Betty Weil by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or phone (613-513-8394).
- Junior Achievement Program: (ONFE) Another great “free of charge” opportunity with a focus on innovation for your grade 5 students. JA Business Basics (Grade 5) – This is an interactive and engaging one-day program that introduces Grade 5 students to the fundamentals of starting a business and the opportunities and challenges of being an entrepreneur. Through key business concepts, such as creating a business plan, interview techniques and marketing strategies, students develop an understanding of how a business operates and generates a profit. and, if interested, submit the name of the 3 participating teachers by Thursday October 6th, 2016 to Chantal.email@example.com
Here is how the week is looking:
Tuesday: Picture Retake Day, Halloween Pep Rally 11AM,
Wednesday: Cross Country Meet
Thursday: Pizza Lunch
Friday: Christian Community Day